Saturday, October 08, 2005


...Harvest...

So I'm tired of living in Northern Ireland with Americans, right? Like, no offense to my housemates, co-workers or even just to Americans, but it's like the friggin' 51st state out here in Closkelt.

And I'm getting antsy and... I miss singing on a regular basis and I'm not the kind of girl who's satisfied by singing worship songs 3 times a week. I need discipline -amazingly enough- when it comes to that sort of thing.

So I join the choir at the church across the street, for their Harvest Service. Closkelt is so rural... So they get big into the Harvest services. Like Thanksgiving, only without the natives. They're just Farmer's who know who to thank. Now, if you know me well, you'll realize how odd this is for me. To be living in the country, to be singing in a nice little farm community church choir. It's weird. After having been here for 2 and 1/2 years, you'd think the culture shock would be over. I would. But then I go to practice and Annette says "Vincent sends his apologies; he'll miss choir practice tonight because he's delivering a horse to the vet." BLINK. Back where I come from, that would be a cover-up.

But it was brilliant to sing a bit more regularly and in sweet sweet harmony. I miss classical style. And musical discipline. And even the challenge of reading music. I miss being corrected and watching myself improve. So it was awesome to have that for a bit.

Plus the folk in the church are a scream. One night, someone sat down while the rest of us were standing and was quickly and affectionately labled "Pensioner." That nickname flew around for the rest of rehearsal.

And the Service was gorgeous.







The thing I like about a British Harvest Service in the country is that the farmers in the congregation actually bring a portion of their harvest to decorate the church; offerings to honour God. What an incredible physical representation of worship. I loved being surrounded by the colours...




My Presbyterian friends across the street are more than meets the eye. That's for sure. Except Pearl. She's as cheeky as she looks.